Mary Deming Barber, APR, Fellow PRSA
In short, I’m a communications professional who’s actively involved in the Alaska and public relations communities. I’m also a wife and mom to two teenage boys who often seem to be living on the soccer field.
With more than 30 years of experience in the communications industry working first with different food products – from beef to lamb and fish, from raisins to potatoes, there is little in the field I haven’t at least tried. I also worked for a US Senator and have introduced new products in Alaska.
A true Pacific Northwest girl, I was born in Seattle and raised in Portland, Oregon with professional stints in Denver and San Francisco before marrying and moving here in 1991. Since then, I’ve become adept at communication programs for Alaska organizations including nonprofits and corporations. I’ve worked for organizations and big agencies but like what I’m doing now the best…the work I want to do the way I want to do it.
It’s my strong belief that creating a stronger community only happens through the hours and hours spent by volunteers. As a result, I spend quite a bit of time volunteering…in my profession, for my kids’ school and most any cause I might believe in.
Awards, Recognition and Volunteer Work
- Athena Society
- PRSA College of Fellows
- Accredited in Public Relations
- Communicator of the Year, Alaska Chapter of PRSA
- Public Relations Society of America Silver Anvil Award; Silver Anvil Certificate of Commendation
- Numerous PRSA Alaska Aurora Awards and Awards of Excellence
- American Marketing Association – Alaska Chapter – numerous AMI Awards
- Advertising Federation of Alaska — numerous Best of the North Awards
- National Agri-Marketing Association – several Best of Show; First Place Awards
- Clio Award Finalist
- Mercury Award — Grand Prize and numerous Gold and Silver Certificates
- Public Relations Society of America on the chapter and national levels
- United Way of Anchorage board of directors
- Whitman College Alumni Board
- Anchorage Youth Soccer Club board of directors